Sunday, July 17, 2011

Week #11: Two Montanas

Total distance pedaled so far = 3504 mi

In the past week the landscapes I've traversed have transitioned from plains to foothills to mountains, giving the impression of entering a new state. Last Sunday in Glasgow, Montana, I was at approximately 2100 feet above sea level. On Friday I crossed the Continental Divide at Logan Pass in Glacier National Park sporting an elevation of 6646 feet.

Now that the land has given more opportunities for variations in my photography, I will utilize pictures in place of so many words.



Speaking of pictures instead of words, these are carvings in the ancient Sleeping Buffalo Rock.




In the distance lie the Sweet Grass Hills, only a tease before the upcoming Rockies.




The Burlington Northern and Santa Fe Railway was always active on the Hi-Line along US-2. I would often see a half-dozen long trains or more each day.




This sign is evidence of Montana's unfortunate drug problem.




A thunderstorm approached at sunset in Galata. The winds howled in the sky above my tent and the lightning struck all around.


"There are few things better than waking to a sky streaked with a whiz of cirrus, getting on the bike, and aiming for a small notch in a big mountain."

-- Jim Malusa, Into Thick Air




Leaving Cut Bank through stiff headwinds, the mountains rose out of the horizon.




After 70 miles of wind and foothill climbing, I made it to the entrance of the park.




As a reward I drank a park-themed beer.




The next morning I woke at dawn. The winds had doubled in strength, gusting over 50 mph.




Rising Sun campground lived up to its name.




Those aren't skid marks on the Going-to-the-Sun Road, that's my shadow.




Winds be damned, it was time to start going for the sun! (Even though I was heading west and this shot is looking east, it's the symbolism that matters :)




There were plenty of opportunities to stop and smell the flowers when I got tired.




A type of trillium?




I think this one's called bear flower.




The mountains cleaved the passing clouds with ease.




Avalanches left paths of destruction on the mountain sides.




Between the trees is a glimpse of Jackson Glacier.




Close to the pass the snow was still freshly plowed. The pass had only been open for two days at this point.




After 3-1/2 hours of climbing against the wind, I came to Logan Pass.




Proof!




The ranger is raising the flag at the visitor center, which will barely fly above the snow.




An amazing 12 mile descent brought me down to Lake McDonald where I camped that night.




Hikers and bikers get a great advantage in the campgrounds. These large, shared sites are saved for them and they are $15 cheaper than regular sites.




Though I only saw one black-tailed deer and a couple bighorn sheep, bears and mountain lions were around. These food lockers brought a little peace of mind.




Yesterday I left the park and followed the Flathead River south.




The mountains continued to decorate the horizon while I passed through fields of mustard, wheat, peas and dill.




Luckily I saw no roadkill on this stretch of road.




Last night I camped near Swan Lake.


Today I will continue to head south to Missoula. From there I will head west again and soon pass through Idaho and Washington on my way into Oregon. The end is drawing near, but there are still some exciting things to see and some challenging roads to ride. Thanks for sticking with me.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Condon, MT, United States

No comments:

Post a Comment