Sunday, May 8, 2011

Week #1

Total distance pedaled so far = 333 mi

Well I've been out for one week now and it seems like a month. I've seen so many sights and met so many new people. Currently I'm taking a rest day near Seneca Lake in New York while I enjoy some wine tastings and delicious food. It's a definite change from the trail mix lunches and dehydrated soups I've been eating on the road.





Highlights:
-Camping along the Housatonic River.




-Crossing the world's longest pedestrian bridge over the Hudson River in Poughkeepsie, NY.




-Climbing through the Catskills Park.




-Riding peacefully through the rain along the Pepacton Reservoir.

(no picture since it was raining)

-Camping two different nights in pine forests.




-Meeting my dad outside of Ithaca, NY.





Lowlights
-Sore knees! I'm dealing with this with much Ibuprofen and supportive knee wraps.
-An entire day of cold rain. Even though the roads were quiet and peaceful.
-Freezing nights. Now I've got a Thermarest pad to keep me off the cold, cold ground.

Rules of the road:
-When climbing steep hills, keep your eyes on the pavement just 10 feet ahead.
-The fun of going downhill never lasts nearly as long as the pain of going uphill. But somehow it's still worth it.
-Look to the barking dog--they're not all tied up!
-Not all dogs bark. (Don't worry, none of them have caught me yet.)

All in all, it's hard to sum up a week of beautiful sights and interesting folks in a quick blog post. If you crave more pictures and haven't been following the Twitter feed to the right I invite you to take a look.

Tomorrow I head north to Lake Ontario and will keep you informed along the way.

Thanks to all of you for following me along the way.




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment