Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Epilogue: Oregon's Coast

Total distance pedaled from New Haven, CT to Seaside, OR = 4359 mi

The ride out to Clatskanie on Sunday was fairly quick and uneventful. I passed through the neighborhoods of North Portland, including Saint Johns, where I crossed the bridge over the Willamette River.

From there I followed US-30 which stayed fairly close to the Columbia River and visited several small blue-collar towns. In the small village of Lindberg there used to be a shop where you could get your wood cutter sharpened, work on your bronze figure and pick up milk all in one convenient stop, but it appears to have been an unsuccessful enterprise.




The Bike Inn is a neat little hostel in Clatskanie where I stayed for two nights. They have a large collection of books and movies to peruse, colorful artwork adorning the walls and a small workshop where you can wrench on your bike. There's also a secluded outdoor shower in the back garden (pictured).




On Monday I rode up to the summit of Clatsop Crest, the last big hill between me and the ocean.




It was still quite early and a thick fog hung over the Columbia Valley.




In Astoria, near the mouth of the Columbia, I took a quick look around the Maritime Museum where this ship is docked.




Down river I got a glimpse of the Astoria bridge leading to Washington state.




Astoria is famous for being the setting of The Goonies, that classic 80's adventure movie.




The Goondocks house is located just a little uphill from the main road. It is a private residence, but the owner is friendly toward respectful visitors.




I left Astoria on Highway 101, which is also the Oregon Coast Bike Route.




The next large town I came to was Seaside, which is the end of the Lewis & Clark Trail. I rode out to the promenade and found a statue in honor of the two explorers.




This statue also marks the end of Adventure Cycling's Lewis & Clark Route. I stood between it and the Pacific Ocean and stared out into that massive body of water with a great sense of achievement. My cross-country journey had come to an end. There was nothing else to do, but find someone to take my picture and head back to Portland.




To everyone that has been following along on this blog, Twitter and TrackMyTour; everyone that made a financial contribution through ChipIn or in person; and everyone that gave me food, shelter or companionship along the way: THANK YOU! I honestly couldn't have done it without you.





- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:N Williams Ave, Portland, OR, United States

1 comment:

  1. Daaaayum!! I can't believe it's already done - Congrats!

    ReplyDelete